- The body breaks carbohydrates down into glucose which is the primary source of energy for the brain and body.
- Carbs are NOT bad – YOU can lose weight while eating carbs.
- The issue is not carbs is generally one of the following:
○ Misunderstanding of how much and what type of carbs to consume.
○ Gluten or Food Sensitivity.
○ Digestive issue (can occur even with universally accepted superfoods like raw broccoli).
○ Too many carbs or not enough.
○ Too many high glycemic carbs or carbs with fewer nutrients. (see below for more on Glycemic index).
- The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly and significantly a food can raise our blood sugar.
- In general, the more fiber and less processed a food is, the more complex the carbohydrate is thus the longer it takes to process.
Healthy Carbohydrates Shopping List
Whole, intact grains such as brown or wild rice, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, teff, oat groats, wheat berries
Starchy tubers such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, cassava, yuca, beans and legumes
More-processed grains (such as white rice)
Whole grain noodles, pasta (e.g., bean or brown rice pasta) and other baked goods
Would you like a 15 minute consultation to chat about your nutrition? Fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you asap!